hdd camcorder for iBook users?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rebos, Mar 5, 2008.

1. rebos macrumors newbie

I also just purchased HDD camcorder, Sony. Spent hours with Sony support on-line and then hours more with genius bar at local Apple store . yes, buying Quikctime pro ($20) lets you import MPEG2 format of this video recorder onto iBook. ...then Streamclip (free download ) is required to get sound to your video. however...after all these hours of support we were all unable to get a way to burn this video once on iMovie or Streamclip onto a dvd...which is my promary goal...to get video of my kids on to my computer to burn a DVD for storage...I do not want to create elaborate movies or store on my computer (takes too much space). One way we found was very cumbersome and took 10-20 min for 30 sec clip. I returned the camcorder. I really want a tapeless/disc-less amcorder system and am determined to stay with Mac (like most of us). Any ideas?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

About the only tapeless format directly supported by iMovie is AVCHD, and only on the latest Intel systems and iMovie '08. Is there some reason why you'd like to avoid a tape-based system? DV is still pretty darn reliable. You pretty much have to keep the video on your computer long enough to burn to a DVD anyway, so... I guess I'm not getting what you're trying to do.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Not true. iMovie'08 supports many types of tapeless camcorders, not just AVCHD. iMovie'08 supports both HDD and DVD based MPEG-2 Standard Def camcorders. As long as your iBook can run iMovie'08 and your Sony is on the compatibility list, you should be able to import your footage.

ft