hdd camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by imacanyone, May 30, 2007.

1. imacanyone macrumors newbie

does anyone know of a hdd camcorder that works well with osx. i would like to plug it in and import to imovie. anyone with an opinion or recommendation would be helpful

thanks

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

none of them really play nice since they don't record in a easily editable format... you would have to transfer the file to your computer and then convert it using something like MPEGstreamclip before bringing it into iMovie.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

If you want to edit your footage on your mac you will need a MiniDV camera. This will save you time and effort, HDD camcorders as has been stated do not work well when you are trying to edit the footage.

Get a MiniDV camera if you want to edit. Professionals use it, every day people use it, just about everyone does. So there is little disadvantage other then having to capture but there is no real way around that unless you use Magic iMovie.

Welcome to MR!

4. AstrayCliche macrumors member

I've been on way too many shoots where an entire day of work was lost because of problems with the hard drive. What's wrong with tape?

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

As the others have stated, there aren't any (that I'm aware of anyway) that will import directly to iMovie. You first have to transfer the files from the HDD camcorder to the Mac HDD, then convert them from their camcorder format (usually .mod, or some other odd .mpg type format), then import them into iMovie.

From my experience, The conversion of the files is only slightly faster than capturing from miniDV. I like the HDD only because I can go in and delete a clip directly from the camera if I don't like it without having to rewind and being worried about over wrting some other part that I want to keep.

Best,

Brian

6. Bassista macrumors newbie

i have the same problem guys. I can transfer data from my HDD camera but they are transferd as .MOD files.

I have downloaded a streamclip 1.8 it did convert .MOD files to MPEG but i still couldnt take it to iMovie, it came up with the error like quicktime cant open it???

Iam confused

7. jrmell macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with new Panasonic HDD camera model SDR-H250.
    Spent all day to come to the same conclusion. Why can't these manufacturers get to gether and sort out the protocol. J