HDD clicking after EFI Firmware Update 2.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jekyoo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jekyoo, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

jekyoo macrumors 6502

After I did the EFI firmware update and the my macbook pro restarted, I noticed that I started to hear a clicking noise from my laptop. At first, I thought it was a normal sound that I may have not heard before but I checked my other laptops and they aren't making any noise close to this. The other two laptops I checked were also early 2011 models, one 13" and the other is 15".

Here is the recording of the sound.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108564/iPhone/Memo.m4a

There is some background noise but that clicking sound is the sound I hear. This is recorded with my 4S with the mic hovering around the palm rest and trackpad. I also noticed that when I tilt the laptop, I can hear a grinding sound. I tried to replicate this grinding noise on my other MBPs but I can't replicate it.

What is the best option for me? If I take it to Apple, would they actually be able to replace it for me or resolve the issue? I don't want to waste my time driving 45 minutes to Apple just so they can say it's "normal". Has anyone had this issue before and taken it to Apple?

2. Mojo1, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Take a look at the Apple forums. Some MBP motherboards were hosed after the firmware update and had to be replaced by Apple. There may be posts that detail other symptoms caused by the firmware update.

3. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I have a Late '11 15" and 13" MBPs (as well as a 21.5" iMac I'm currently updating remotely).

The 15" took longer to update vs. my 13" (and they started the update process seconds from each other).

15" restarted a few more times. After the firmware update was done, it turned itself on and off a few times in rapid succession (the SuperDrive made its startup noise three or four times). The 13" machine only restarted once after the firmware update was complete.

I haven't experienced any HDD clicking so far. It was hard to hear in the audio sample you provided. I heard a lot of background noise.

4. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually had the same problem. My 15" took a lot longer to install and it did reboot multiple times unlike my 13".

You can't hear that? =\ (even with the background noise) I guess I can hear it since I know the sound it's making. Hopefully others can hear this noise.

----------

I shall look at the Apple forums to see if anyone has the same issue has mine.

Thanks!

5. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I've had my 2011 Macs for two months and I've had to update the firmware on them twice. My 15" had a very strange buzzing noise in the left fan that went away with the firmware update (and since hasn't come back with the second update).

Firmware updates do things for better or for worst. When I updated today, after the firmware update completed, the 15" just shut off like it died and then came back to life. That rapid on/off behavior I described in my other post.

I'd try to wait it out and see if it goes away before troubling myself with driving an hour to a Genius Bar.

It may be as simple as resetting PRAM/NVRAM and resetting the SMC and might be a waste of time to do a trip.

Worst case, they'll likely take your machine and swap out the logic board. I'm really, really iffy about handing my laptop over to a Genius for repair after some of my experiences with them. Also, depending on the Mac, they don't do same day repairs.

6. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

I've read nothing but awful things about this firmware update, which is why I generally wait a while after one is released to see if it's reliable. Firmware is sometimes a little freaky to deal with. If nothing works you gotta take it to Apple. This is their fault, I believe.

7. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to wait it out for a couple days to see if the noise does away on its own. I will try resetting my PRAM/NVRAM and resetting the SMC if it doesn't go away. Worst case, I'll take it to Apple.

Jumping on the firmware update last night at 2AM was a bad idea. I was up for an extra hour trying to figure it the problem. T_T

8. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I heard it. I know I heard a "click" about 9 seconds into it when I listened to it again. It shouldn't make that sort of sound.

9. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the additional random click 9 seconds into the sound clip. FML!

10. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I wonder why I make that blind leap of faith with Apple updates myself sometimes.

The 15" 2011 MBP though, along with the 13", are different from their 2009 counterparts I've used. Neither 2011 model will indicate an SMC reset with the battery light indicators on the side like the 2009 models do.

15" 2011 MBP didn't surprise me that it updated a bit differently than even the 13" 2011.

The very odd thing I couldn't figure out is PRAM/NVRAM resetting on the 15" is either different or not so obvious. Command-Option-P-R doesn't work? The screen doesn't go to maximum brightness during a restart nor does the boot sound "ding" at maximum volume like my 13" does. I think if I restart it a few times, the brightness will eventually reset.

15" just has all these subtle things I've not seen before on a prior MBP.

11. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Next time I'd stay away from making computer-altering changes at 2 in the morning. :p

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

My Early 2011 13" MBP has run like a top since I purchased it last summer. It's the coolest running portable Mac that I have owned.

Since nothing was wrong with it I held off on the first firmware upgrade. Within a day or two of its release I began reading about the motherboard problems.

I'm done automatically running all Apple updates until after the dust settles... ;)

13. jekyoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you link me to these threads? I'm having trouble finding other people with the 2.7 update issues.

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, I don't have a link. You'll have to try Google, which often turns up results from the Apple forums on the first page, or the Apple forum search function.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Updated my firmware on the 15" pro here just now.

No clicks.
    1 reboot, sleep light flashing, then powered off, heard the cd drive twice, and it rebooted into OS X just fine.

Hard drive "grinding" noise can only be a dead disk.

I suspect there are many many more people who are downloading and installing firmware updates just fine, you're only seeing threads from people who happen to have problems. If everyone who successfully updated posted, we'd have a huge amount of spam on here.