HDD cloning/upgrade query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chungasarnies, Nov 16, 2010.

1. chungasarnies macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Here's my plan, I think it will work, but if it won't, it would be superb if someone more knowledgeable than I could tell me so :D

Step 1:

Buy 2.5" external Firewire 800 hard drive enclosure
    Buy 2.5" SATA drive (probably 500gb WD Black or something)

Step 2:

Whack new drive into new enclosure and fire it up

Step 3:

Clone my existing 250GB internal MBP hard drive to the new one in the enclosure using Carbon Copy Cloner etc

Step 4:

Remove new hard drive from enclosure and use it to replace the internal hard drive in my Mac

Step 5:

All being well stick the old hard drive in the enclosure and use it as an external

Any ideas?

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Sounds like a plan, I only recently did that when upgrading my Macbook's internal drive, of course it went more like:

Clone internal drive to Firewire External,
    Replace internal with newer drive,
    Boot off Firewire External drive,
    Clone to internal drive.
    Boot off internal drive and done

Simple :D

3. chungasarnies thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet. Thought there might be some sort of compatibility issues or something. Have done similar-ish things with windows in the past and it's not gone too smoothly.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Yeah, I use Carbon Copy Cloner myself and for all the times I've used it I've never really had a problem with it.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

you don't even need a bootable external. just backup to a sparse image/bundle with Superduper, save the image on whatever external device you have already, install the new drive, and restore using the image in Disk Utility with the OSX CD.

6. chungasarnies thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't have an external drive and a new hard drive unfortunately. Was hoping to kill two birds with one stone by buying the enclosure.

7. toxic macrumors 68000

ok, just letting you know you don't absolutely need a bootable external, so you could save a few bucks if you don't need FW800 otherwise.

8. chungasarnies thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I know usb is a lot more reasonably priced than firewire as well, just thought FW would be a bit faster when I'm transferring 250 gigs or so.