hdd compatibile with macbooks (320gb hdd)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamse, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jamse macrumors newbie

alright, i know there are some hdd arnt compatible with macbooks due to the macbooks internal hdd sensor, conflicting with the sensor inside the hdd, but i cannot figure out exactly witch 320gb hdd will play nicely with macbooks.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Huh? What sensors...

Just get a 2.5 inch drive and you'll be fine.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think he's referring to hard drives that have built in fall sensors, as compared to allowing the MB's built-in fall sensor. I have read some people mention that in the past as well.

OP, just find a 2.5", 9mm thick, SATA drive, that doesn't mention it has a fall sensor, and you'll be fine.

4. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

there is a free fall sensor but it wont be a factor when choosing a new HD.

you can get an aftermarket drive with the sensor but it is not required.

Im currently using the Western Digital scorpio black 320 gb without the sensor and its fine.

the only thing you might have to watch out for are drives that are thicker than 9mm.

5. jamse thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah im looking for one w/o a fall sensor, cause from what i read there is a conflict with the hdd sensor and the macbook sensor, so wd scorpio black is on my list since it doesnt have one.

thanks for the input guys

6. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

there are two versions.
    one with and one without. make sure you check the model # on the man. website

this is also the case with the seagate 320gb 7200rpm drive

7. aluminumapple macrumors regular

if i were you id just get the 500gb seagate momentus 7200rpm. thats the way to go lol.

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Actually it is something to look at. If you get one WITH the sensor, your Mac will go crazy :p
    But you can just look at NewEgg for the drive you're interested in, and look at the reviews to see how they work with Macs.

9. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

hmmm good to know!

most reviews of the drive i read made it sound like it wasnt an issue

10. oldSystem macrumors newbie

I have the one with the sensor in it. Besides making a few strange beeping sounds sometimes, it's operates normal. No craziness here.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it simply for the beeping sounds. When you sleep the computer and wake it, they occur. Can be annoying at times. I'm guessing this has something to do with the sensor.

Next time I'm going with Seagate.

11. oldSystem macrumors newbie

I should probably explain that comment:

Even without the intermittent beeping, the drive runs noticeably louder than my stock Seagate before. Seagate truly do live up to their reputation of being the quietest drives out there.

Plus, I have a WD Passport Studio external drive for my Time Machine backups, and it keeps getting Invalid Node Structure errors, even after formatting and starting over on the backups. Hardware malfunction I suspect. So I'm trying to reach the Western Digital website warranty section and their server seems to be down. I'm just getting so annoyed with WD.