HDD continuously writing data

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Vyky, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Vyky macrumors newbie

Hi,

last month I started to notice, that my 2013 Mac mini started to produce HDD sounds - just like continuously writing data, even if all APPs are closed, immediately after restart, etc. I dont think this is a HDD failure because of the familiar writing sound.

I did lot of research in the forums, but didnt find any help.

It looks like the kernel_task od launchd are causing it by writing SOME data, even if I dont use the computer for hours. Im desperate about finding whats wrong.

Tried to check Activity monitor, which shows this (screenshot attached). The "bytes written" from kernel and launchd are continuously growing to Gigs (the screenshot is after restart).

I triend to kill some processes, I tried to stop everything running - can I determine what is the kernel and launchd writing and somehow stop this? Or maybe another process writes?

Yeah and I dont have any memory/CPU problem (Kernel CPU around 3%)

Im a common user, not a geek, please slowly :)

Thanx for the help.

Attached Files:

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Code:
    sudo fs_usage > ~/fs_usage_log.txt
    ...in a Terminal window writes the file system access data to the fs_usage_log.txt file in the current user directory. You can stop the fs_usage tool with the Command+Period keys.

Then open the fs_usage_log.txt file in BBEdit or TextWrangler. Make sure that the text editor window is wide enough!

----------

OS X does this automatically at startup before the Finder mounts the volumes.

4. Vyky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, Disk utility done, Onyx cleaning done - nothing worked. Tried Sloth, but cannot determine the process either :-(

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Well, you could turn off Spotlight and delete the indexes.

And, if you're using Time Machine, turn it off.

6. Vyky thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Stealth network traffic? Are you by any chance on a shared or university network?

8. Vyky, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

Vyky thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, got the file - but I cant read whats wrong... like I said, no geek :)

Could you check it out? I uploaded it here, cause 22Mb.

OK, reuploaded: http://www.multiupload.nl/DZ7GQCQ1AL

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Thanks. Next time use a compression program or the Finder "Compress" option to compress the text file. This reduces the upload and download time.

What i found:
    mdworker (this is a spotlight process) analyzes your Mail sent box. If Mail opens automatically mdworker analyzes the data also automatically.

11. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

I don't think it does, unless forced to (safe mode).

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

https://developer.apple.com/library/Mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/fsck_hfs.8.html
    Journaled file systems (HFS+J) and SSDs reduce the time needed for fsck_hfs to nearly zero.

13. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

The article mentions there are 3 forms of this command, with increasing functionality. So you are correct to say it does run at boot, but a normal boot would usually execute the first and/or second form and not a full filesystem check that the third form provides. Safe mode will however, use the third form.