HDD Conundrum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by At_Op45, Sep 26, 2018.

1. At_Op45 macrumors member

At_Op45

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but, these part do come from two old early 2011 Core i5 13," and one mid-2012 Core i5 13" MacBook Pro.

I currently own three, 2.5" 500GB HDD drives that have the same speed of 5400 RPM. I don't really know what to do with them. They are somewhat old, used, and arguably lack enough storage for DIY projects like a NAS or raid. I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations on how to best use them. Thank you.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

You can make a bunch of partitions on one of them and a bootable MacOS installer for each major version.

This is nice if you want to go back to an older OS on one of your Macs or maybe a future Mac.

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Do you download any movies?
    Use one of the drives to store them.

Set up another as either:
    - a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive
    or
    - an independently bootable-to-the-finder emergency drive (can be very handy at times)

Use the third to keep files that are "expendable" -- such as extra copies of apps, copies of OS installers, etc.

You don't need to put these drives into enclosures.
    Instead, use a cheap device like this to access all three:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

5. sosumi99 macrumors 6502

sosumi99

Given their age, I wouldn’t trust them as backup disks either. Maybe in RAID, but that’s about it.

6. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I dug out an older 2011 MBP 500 GB HD that was hardly used for I replaced it with a SDD years back. Im using it now in the below enclosure for a bootable disk I created for my iMac via Carbon Copy Cloner. I also have a USB-C enclosure I use with a Crucial 275 GB SSD to CCC bootable drive for my laptop.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 1.41.05 PM.png

7. At_Op45 thread starter macrumors member

At_Op45

Thank you very much for the enclosure recommendation! By chance, may recommend any enclosures that can maintain multiple HDDs? Thank you again.

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

This is the one I have, or one very similar to it.

It crashed once back in 2015, causing me to lose all my data, but I think this had more to do with an issue I was having on my iMac it was connected to. I think the a corrupted MacOS screwed up the indexing on the external drive.

I stop using it for two years, and about a year ago started using it again. No problems in the past year.

It is really fast with the two 3TB drive I have in it, just as fast as my Fusion Drive, and maybe faster.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    BTW, I use it as a HW RAID0.

9. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

10. At_Op45 thread starter macrumors member

At_Op45

Thank you. Sorry, I missed your response earlier.