p3ncil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
I'm looking at USB 3.0 HDD Docks does anyone have any recommendations?

I've read up about how some docks refuses to spin down the HDD when the iMac goes to sleep. And some which refuse to mount until they are physically plugged into the port again.

Are all docks affected?

Thanks!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The Newertech SATA 6GBit/s dock works fine.
31Gv4t5KeiL.jpg

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
I would suggest buying a drive that uses either an
ASMedia 1051e controller chip
or an
ASMedia 1053 controller chip

The plugable.com single-bay docks have these (they're available thru amazon.com).

Either of the above should give you UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for faster performance on UASP capable systems. NOT ALL USB3 DOCKS SUPPORT THIS. Be careful of what you get.

p3ncil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
or an

The plugable.com single-bay docks have these (they're available thru amazon.com).

Either of the above should give you UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for faster performance on UASP capable systems. NOT ALL USB3 DOCKS SUPPORT THIS. Be careful of what you get.

wow, noted with thanks!

Xteec

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Australia
I don't have a recommendation...but I will say stay away from this guy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153146

I bought one and had to ship it back because of constant disconnects using USB3 (USB2 worked fine). The research I did suggested it was the JMicron controller.

Me being dumb, of course I looked at Amazon and Newegg reviews after I bought it - and this problem is quite common.

Oh well live and learn.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
or an

Not that it would matter for a single hard drive on USB 3.0, as long as the dock is capable of SATA-II speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.