HDD failed, should I be concerned about anything else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rye9, May 31, 2014.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

So, I have a mid-2009 MBP (getting old, I know).... but it still works fine overall. Until this morning it wouldn't wake up from sleep, then upon a force shut-down, it wouldn't boot back up. A trip to the Genius Bar led to a HDD replacement, since it was indeed failing. A little bit of a shock to me since I had no warning signs or sounds, really. But anyways...

For a while I had been planning to upgrade to a MBA 13" in 2015, however this morning made me reconsider that and just getting the upgrade now. Obviously, I decided against it and am going with the HDD replacement, in hopes I can still milk another year out of my MBP. I know this is a super vague and 'qualitative' question, if you will, but does the HDD replacement sound like a promising way to squeeze out another year? I am relatively confident that a new HDD won't crap out so soon (my other one literally lasted 5 years give or take a couple weeks), but should I be wary of other components failing as well?

Thanks everyone :)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, you should be fine. HDD's fail, it's a consequence of being a physical device which spins, creates friction and heat.

Chances are the rest of the machine is just fine. I have a MBP from 2006 which is still running, which I gave to some friends a couple of years ago.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

All things being equal the likelihood of failure would normally be:

Fans/HDD (as above, physical stuff just wears out)
    Power supply (heat tends to stress components)
    Logic boards (in general, the main boards and any sub-boards such as WiFi or similar are likely all similar risk/likelyhood of failure)

This ignores any pervasive manufacturing issues such as Radeon etc and batteries which should be regarded as a consumable item.