HDD Got Corrupted Somehow, Should I just Replace it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by netslacker, Sep 7, 2013.

1. netslacker macrumors 6502

I have a 2009 MBP that I upgraded the HDD to a Seagate Momentus XT 750 back in 2012. Yesterday the machine was running crazy slow with a lot of beach balls so I rebooted to the Recovery HD and did a disk verify. Verify came back with disk corruption and a link error and so I did a Disk Repair.

Since then everything seems fine. We're back to being snappy fast and in fact faster than it's been in a while. So now I'm wondering if the Seagate drive I installed last year is on it's way out. Any thoughts? Should I just replace the drive and carry on? Typically when I see this the hard drive continues to corrupt or be slow or lots of beach balling even after a repair so the signs to replace a drive are less obvious this time, hence my question. I wouldn't think a drive would corrupt for any reason unless it's dying...

If anyone can suggest a good disk check tools (since seatools only runs on Windows or Dos) that would also be helpful.

Before anyone says it, I have backups via TM and full backup.

Thanks!

2. case2001 macrumors 6502

So if you have backups, I would not worry about replacing the drive. If it continues to have faults, it should be replaced. You could also use SMART utility to pole the drive to see if any flags have been thrown. If there are errors on SMART test. I would replace as soon as possible.

In addition, I would increase the frequency of my backups.

As an aside, I had a ThinkPad 10 years ago with the high resolution display. The motherboard died. Contacted IBM, who still owned the ThinkPad brand at that point. The tech confirmed motherboard was dead and they would ship a box out next day for next day air return and replacement under warranty. The tech cautiously asked me if I had a backup of the hard drive as IBM would wipe my drive when it was returned. i replied of course. Wipe away. The tech responded "You are the first person in a YEAR I have spoken to that actually has a back up of your data!"

Anyway backups make these a lot less painful!!