HDD Guide 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Apr 14, 2013.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I bought a Hitachi Travelstar 2.5 inch for my MacBook Pro back in 2011, as it seemed to be the best at the time.

It's this product:
    http://www.amazon.com/Travelstar-50...TF8&qid=1365986756&sr=1-2&keywords=travelstar

I was wondering if there's any reason to get a different type of drive now in 2013, any advancements in HDDs?

I have an SSD but it's giving me troubles, and I feel more comfortable going back to HDD, but I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be looking for something more advanced in an HDD, such as SATA 3 (the MBP I currently have supports SATA 3). I'm guessing that's less important on an HDD, though.

Thanks.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

HDDs cannot even saturate SATA 1 speeds let alone 2 or 3. HDDs are still primitive compared to SSDs: what problems have you had from that?

Also, a HDD is the same as another HDD except if it fails on you; then you want another brand. HDD speeds don't matter so much because they are so low: barely 100 MB/s. When you get to SSDs, you start caring about speeds because getting one with 500 MB/s is cool and useful at the same time whereas the difference between 90 MB/s and 110 MB/s won't help you so much.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks.

I'm still not entirely sure if it's the SSD that caused the problems or not. It's a Samsung 830. I created a post about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1570454

I probably should have posted it in the MacBook Pro forum.

I still need to back it up and erase it and afterward I guess I'll try using it, but I was just worried about it seeming to work and then possibly being corrupted and failing again. So, I was sort of preemptively investigating what type of HDD to get.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Is the SSD;

1. Have the latest firmware?
    2. Did you do a clean install of OS X or a clone/copy?

6. Ifti macrumors 68000

My Samsung 830 has been flawless........
    I would suggest investigating and resolving the issues on the SSD TBH.

7. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

Hey, just to give an update if someone comes across this, it is not the SSD in my computer that was the problem. I swapped it out with another drive, and the computer still didn't work, so it's with Apple for repairs for something else, most likely the SATA cable, I would guess.