HDD how to repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFPoster, Sep 6, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So I have a HDD that stopped functioning. I can hear it running but it doesn't show up on my desktop or even starts up. Is there a way for me to remove the case and grab the film and put it on another hard drive to pull data off of this? I know the CIA, FBI and forensic's do stuff like this and all the stuff I found on line talk about it but nothing is firm in telling you how to do it. Hopefully someone can here. Thanks!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No.
    You can send it in to a data recovery service. They can do such things but it costs a couple hundred bucks at least. Must be important data for which you have no backup to be worth it.

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Well they usually send it elsewhere. This "film" you speak of is your hard drive platter. This isn't going to be possible without seeking professional help, which is NOT cheap.

Hindsight: Should keep backups.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Often the TV forensics shows pull off technology that would make the CIA jealous. Don't use TV shows as an indication of what is possible with a computer, ever.

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I think the OP is referring to the hard drive platters as 'film' and not talking about TV.

6. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah No desire to do this. It's important data to my client, not to me. They do have backup's since this isn't there main drive this is there backup drive that failed. I just told them I'd take a look and I couldn't get it to load so I figured I'd check here. I'll take it apart and see what I can do.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If it's the back-up drive, the easiest thing to do would be replace the HDD with a new one and back the info up on it again.

If for whatever reason they want the copy of the information that they already have, then A) pay for an expensive recovery service, B) buy the same HDD and replace the platters with the old ones and "rebuild" the HDD (assuming the platters aren't damaged) C) look back to option A or the very first one. :eek:

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

This is a backup drive and they don't need the data?

Holy crap... as cheap as HD media is just take a hammer to it and get another one.

9. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I guess you could, but you would need the right tools, and a clean room. that's right, a spec of dust will destroy the drive. Also if you mess up with the drilling good by drive. Also everything has to be anti-static as well.

Your only option is to send it in to a special place for that and it costs a couple hundred bucks.

Make sure to ask if they can recover information from "Apple" hard drives, because (believe it or not) you need a OSX computer to extract OSX data.

10. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

They want the data if they can get it. I just need to get it to recognize on my mac to help them.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I was referring to the way TV programs hugely overstate what can be done with technology. Sometimes my wife looks at me if we watch a program and she says something like "Come on, is that realistic?"

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//offtopic
    You mean like this ?
    [​IMG]
    //ontopic
    OP If the data is important to your client then tell them to give you $100 bucks so you can purchase Disk Warrior. It may or may not work but it's worth a shot. If they don't want to pony up the cash then it's not worth the effort.

13. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Those pictures just made me crack up! I'll let them know thanks!