HDD icon missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xcitu, Oct 1, 2009.

1. xcitu macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Some time ago I started using Pathfinder and after some time my HDD icon disappeared. I didn't make much out of it then, but now I'm tired of Pathfinder and I want everything back to normal.
    My HDD icon, CD's and external volumes that I connect doesn't show. Not screenshots either, or other types of files.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see there is nothing in the upper right corner.

What I've tried:
    A Apple-guide where I install Xcode--->Run some sudo command in Terminal--->Reboot, but it didn't work.
    Tried to find my HDD in Finder and drag it onto the desktop, but no success.
    Opened Pathfinder again and went to "/volumes" and found out that the volumes folder was hidden. I "unhid" it, reboot, but still the same.

Anyone got a solution to my problem?

Thanks.

2. devburke Guest

Well if even screenshots and files don't show, I'm not sure. But before I reached that part of your post, I was going to suggest going into the Finder Preferences and checking whether or not you have it set to show hard disks and such on the desktop (I'm on a Tiger machine now so this is an outdated screenshot, but it should be pretty much the same).

Attached Files:

3. xcitu thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've tried that but it didn't work. Something else?

Running SL btw.

Thanks for answering. :)

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You may have sorted your problem by now, but if not then I hope this helps!!!

I had exactly the same problem with Snow Leopard, no desktop icons. According to finder things were still on my desktop.

What I did was to change the resolution to something different and then change it back again. The Icons reappear. Seems like there is a bug with SL which changes the resolution or that this refreshes the screen???