Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

century16killer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I just purchased this hard drive caddy tray and used a brand new 500 GB Mac drive (OEM from a Mac Mini Server) as the second drive. I have a Intel 80 GB SSD in the original drive area.

This process was simple, and works. However, when I try to delete the sleepimage file, it does not work.

I followed the steps to remove the 8GB sleepimage file and I disabled hibernation using sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0.

When hibernatemode = 0, the 500 GB HDD spins on when I close the lid, and never spins down. I've tried Cocktail, and sudo pmset spindown 1 to set it to 1 minute – doesn't work. I've also disabled Spotlight on both drives, and do not have iStat installed.

When hibernatemode = 3, the HDD spins down right away, but then I get the 8GB sleepimage file. I've also tried locking the sleepimage file, but then the HDD acts the same as if I set hibernatemode to 0 (e.g., it spins on when I close the lid, does not spin down).

My goal is to:

- have the HDD spin down when I close the lid
- keep the HDD in the optibay
- disable the sleepimage file and get rid of the 8 GB sleep image file

Macbook Pro 13" 8GB ram / 80 SSD / 500 HHD in Optibay drive / Mountain Lion

Thanks in advance! If this specific problem is solved on another thread, my apologies, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.