HDD in Optibay spin for no reason!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minhthien, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Minhthien macrumors 6502

How do you set up where the HDD in optibay "only spin" if you access it?
    I even Eject the HDD and its still spin once in a while!

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Yea, people have been having problems with that. I don't know if anyone has solved it though.

Personally, I don't hear mine spinning so it doesn't bother me at all.

3. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think it will solve by moving my HDD back in its original place and put the SSD in the optibay?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Well you won't hear the SSD spin in the optibay then!!:eek::D

5. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

lol funny! I meant the HDD!:p

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You can run this command: sudo pmset -a disksleep VALUE (replace Value with a number 1-10...1=1min, 10=10mins or longer if u need)

Also make sure nothing is accessing the drive....I have purchased paragons NTFS for OSX and that wouldn't let my drive sleep as it continuously did a chache file check on my bootcamp partition....the company said they are working on the known bug and should release a update soon, so for now I have disabled the driver unless needed....my drive sleeps within 1min and stays as sleep until I need it (only sometimes it spins up on its own randomly...when launching dashboard or safari....but goes back to sleep thats why I choose a smaller value)

If you have other things like ALIAS or applications accessing your HDD then it won't sleep. Like I have Vuze which downloads torrents to my HDD so when thats running obviously my drive doesn't sleep.....you will have to check into it depending on how you set up your applications/files etc.

7. happle macrumors 6502a

download cocktail and set it to sleep after however long you want it to.