HDD in optical caddy constantly running hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blaqink, Aug 1, 2012.

1. blaqink macrumors member

hey everyone i was hoping i could get some help. I have a Mid-2009 MBP running Mountain Lion. I just installed a SSD in the primary harddrive bay, and my OEM HDD in the optical drive caddy. I have noticed the area which the HDD is gets hot very quickly, even with little to no use. from my understanding everything should generally be running cooler. is there a solution to this? or could there be an issue with something?

Thanks

2. oddjobav8r macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same issue, even when the optical caddy drive is not mounted. It gets extremely hot.

3. Ploki macrumors 68020

What the hell is it suppose to be getting hot from?

Install iStat and see how hot it really is.

Mine is generally running a few degrees cooler than the stock position one. Both 7k2 Scorpio Blacks

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It's going to happen. The internal cooling wasn't designed for a HDD to be in that location. It's all about airflow. It shouldn't be "running Cooler" as you have a electromechanical device spinning making heat. If you change the airflow dynamics it changes the thermal characteristics.

Some drives are designed more efficiently than others also. Because someone installed a Western Digital doesn't mean the Toshiba you install will act the same.

You change from the manufacturers design, you make tradeoffs.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What caddy are you using?
    If my guess is correct you are using one of those cheap 15$ ones?

I have the MCE model and my HDD runs under 30F.

6. circa7 macrumors regular

What hard drive do you have in the slot? Is it ths tock 5400rpm or did you upgrade to something different? Why would there be any difference between an MCE model and one of the cheap ones?

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I use to. It was running fine as well.
    And the stock one I had was 500GB @7200rpm.
    But now I have Samsung Spinpoint 1TB @5400rpm.

8. phased, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

phased macrumors member

hi all,

i seem to be having some similar issues post-installation (i've got my SSD where the HDD was, and the HDD to the optical bay).

even when i've got the HDD unmounted, the whole system seems to be running hot. i'm judging this mainly on the fact the fans never really turn off (running at >3300rpm most of the time). this was seldom the case before. according to istat (which may or may not be working on ML) my CPU hovers around 82-83º. although i'm not quite sure what is was running at before.

when i place my hand over the machine it's certainly hottest towards the top-left - the opposite side to the opticaly bay / HDD.

any tips / hints or is this how it's meant to be?

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Did you ever resolve this? i am having a similar problem - i haven't really noticed it running hot, but i have noticed that A - the drive never spins down and B - the laptop doesn't sleep when i close the lid anymore.