HDD in Optical drive Bay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wakemeup707, Jul 15, 2013.

1. wakemeup707 macrumors newbie

I currently have a 1 TB Samsung 5400 rpm drive in my MacBook Pro's optical drive spot - but it shuts down after a bit of use (more like crashes entirely). I believe this is because it is a normal hard drive and since there is no way to get the heat out, it shuts down. I'm considering getting a SSD for the bay instead, but want to make sure my overheating theory is correct.

Late 2011 15'' MacBook Pro, 240 gb SSD and 1 TB 5400 rpm drive. 8 gb of RAM.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Idk... I have a 1TB spinning drive in my optical bay(specs in my sig), and I've never had an issue. Although I guess it is possible yours has to deal with more heat.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

The optical bay doesnt have a sudden motion senspr so if you are using it while moving the laptop then the head may be hitting the platter causing it to malfunction. Culd also just be a bad drive. Not likely from heat

4. wakemeup707, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

wakemeup707 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - never thought about it being a bad drive. When it shuts off it is when the laptop is sitting still on a desk, which is why it bewilders me. I might try a different spinning drive in there and see how that works out.

Here is the hard drive info - SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB

Also, both of my chipsets are intel 6 Series, so that means a 6 gb/s should work in there, correct? I had an issue with a different drive working in that slot that was a 6 gb/s drive but works fine anywhere else

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Have you tried switching the SSD and HDD to see if that makes a difference? (So put the HDD in the built in slot of the MBP and put the SSD in the optical bay).

But apart from that suggestion, it seems to me like your drive might be going bad.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I have the 1TB HDD that came with my MBP mounted in an optibay, never had any issues with it. Doubt your problem is related to heat, could be the HDD itself, the caddy, etc. Only way to really find out is to swap the HDD out with another one and see if the problem still exists.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

What optibay do you have?
    Im using the one from MCE and have no problems.
    Running around 32C every time.

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Your problem could be that 2011 MBPs won't support SATA3 reliably in the optibay. It's a well known issue documented at OWC. If you do opt to put an SSD in there make sure it's a SATA2 drive (which are getting hard to find).

>

9. wakemeup707 thread starter macrumors newbie

My SSD is the SATA3, so I'm not sure that it'll support it well so i haven't switched it.

I originally had the MCE optibay, but I thought that was the problem so I ordered one for $18 bucks on new egg (on sale) to see if that helped (same problem - same drive). The drive is a SATA2 and running at 31 C now, so heat probably isn't the issue. But the issue really only presents itself when the computer is on for awhile or I'm doing a large file transfer - I just want to figure it out before I go ahead and buy a new drive

10. wakemeup707 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just replaced it with a different hard drive - one I know works and is sata 2. If this doesn't work, any ideas on what it would be?

11. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

It will work. Don't worry.