HDD in Optical drive speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theromanone, Dec 30, 2011.

1. theromanone macrumors member

So after scouring the forums for an hour, I think I have the right idea but am not sure.

Simply put, say I put the SSD in the normal bay and the HDD in the optical.
    The SSD contains my dual boot of windows 7 and Lion.
    The HDD contains all of my media/movies/pics/music/documents/etc.

Will moving some of the more often used media from the HDD to the SSD allow me to see speed increases when using that media?
    OR is there no difference when watching movies/uncompressed music playback with files on the HDD and the OS on the SSD.

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

no difference in speed of watching videos and listening to music....but if you have a big enough SSD might as well keep your most listened to music on the SSD rather than the HDD as this will allow you to let your HDD spin down and save some battery on the go and a SILENT macbook pro:)

3. antonioanmar, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

antonioanmar macrumors member

antonioanmar

Same configuration here, and all my iTunes library is on the HDD. It works perfectly, no speed difference playing music, neither HD videos.
    And i find no problems of noise. the only point is the battery, which goes down faster if you are accessing continuously to the HDD than if it is on your SDD

4. theromanone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, how much less battery time are we talking about here?

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Not much. 5% maybe more high access but little load scenarios.

In my experience music libs if small enough on the ssd help for two reasons.
    1. save battery if you listen in the background and the work data is on the ssd the hdd can stay spun down
    2. it lags if the hdd with the music lib is currently spun down and even if not on an SSD it starts playing immediately on the hdd there is a little delay.

With movies there really is no point at all to keeping it on the ssd. I only keep the download folder on the ssd.
    Documents is if it can be fit in almost any case better on the ssd. Either it is small files and the size doesn't matter anyway but the hdd can stay asleep or it is bigger files or very many and the ssd offers a significant speed boost.

6. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Poor choice on leaving itunes Library on Optibay HDD, now everytime you listen to itunes your HDD will spin consuming more energy.
    I have my itunes library on my SSD which is running my OS, i download music to my SSD and after playing it on my itunes and it is stored in itunes library i then move it to HDD for storage.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If you're not constantly struggling with battery charge, there's no point in putting media on your SSD. You'll just end up with a full SSD.

8. onions macrumors member

so by that rationale, you only listen to songs once before storing them on your HDD never listening to them again? or do you move them back to the SSD everytime you want to watch/listen to something to preserve battery life?

9. jon08 macrumors 65816

Good for you, but some of us have larger iTunes libraries that by no chance will fit on the SSD, hence the only option is to put it on the HDD...

10. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

No because once you open and play the song on itunes it's stored in itunes library, which means you can store the original somewhere else.

----------

Oh, never thought of that :D