HDD Install Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmodys, Jun 21, 2011.

1. rmodys macrumors newbie

I've been having some trouble installing my 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HDD on my mid-2010 Macbook Pro. I backed up my original 250GB Hitachi and all of that went well. The problems came when I tried to boot with the 500GB. I installed OSX on it and went through the initial setup screens. After it prompted me to restart, the machine gets stuck at the Apple logo. I've let it sit there over 15 minutes and it hasn't booted in to OSX.

I have no problems booting from the original 250GB, just the new HDD. I've tried booting with and without the Mac install disc. I've searched all over the place looking for a remedy to this issue but haven't had any luck. Any ideas on what this issue might be?
    Thanks

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That sounds like a bad hard drive, although it's surprising it would let you install OSX and THEN fail.

Try booting from the OSX DVD and run Repair Disk. If that doesn't help, erase the disk and re-install. If that doesn't work, try an external DVD drive and make sure your OS disc isn't scratched.

3. rmodys thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that. I'm almost positive that it's not the DVD drive though as it will read pretty much any other disc with no errors. The OS disc is definitely not scratched, I took it out of its factory wrapping for the first time a few minutes before installing the disc. Thanks for your input, hopefully this will solve it.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Probably not the OS disc, then! I had that happen once, so figured it was worth a look. Also, if your DVD drive is working on everything else, it's probably not that either, but it doesn't hurt to mention it to rule it out.

From your description, it sounds like the new hard drive failed. Try "Repair Disk" and check the SMART status. If it does not boot, take it back and exchange it.

Hope all that helps!

5. rmodys thread starter macrumors newbie

I went and reinstalled the Western Digital drive and the machine doesn't even recognize it now. I could even boot from a USB external drive that I have, just no luck for my new 500GB. Looks like I'll be sending it back to Amazon. Thanks for your help!

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You're welcome! Always glad to try to help.

Hope you get it sorted out soon!

7. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Do you by any chance have a desktop computer you can put the HDD in to see if it's recognized?

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

When you formatted the new hard drive did you use GUID for the Partition Table?