HDD issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heisenberg123, Feb 16, 2014.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Running OSX Mavericks

I have a 1TB Samsung spinpoint in an obtibay formated to exFat this drive is storage only, no OS on it

Reading from it from OSX is fine everything opens fast, but moving files and deleting files on it is slow there is a 15 second pause

Booting into my bootcamp partition, the drive in the optibay does not have the same issue it reads find and moving deleting is as fast as it should be

any suggestions?

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I'm assuming this is the computer listed in your signature?

Only limitation I can think of immediately is SATA connection at your optical bay, but if it's working in Windows, better, than that wouldn't be it.

Have you tried formatting it to something different than exFAT?

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not yet, ive done a clean install of OSX

files copy between the HHD and SSD in the main bay fast in both directions

and when I try to delete off it I get the warning I am deleting files almost like secure deleting is turned on even though its not

4. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Depending on the data you have on that drive, or how much, I would recommend backing it up to a separate drive, then reformat it, and try from there. I'm not entirely familiar with inner workings of exFAT format, but I would try something different, unless my work required that. Are you using exFAT for a specific reason?

5. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I was using exFat so it would work with both windows and osx, I have since backed up, formatted to os journaled and the drive now works fine, guess I will only use that storage drive in osx

6. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Not sure why, but the format seems to be the issue. Might be a matter of converting...? If writing, deleting, or moving, then the software (OS?) converts file, does the appropriate action, then converts back to write the format, or remove from drive.