Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
About 6 months ago i replaced my HDD with a 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HDD. Everything worked fine until last night. I was using the computer and it began to hang for a miniute and the screen went grey. I pressed the power button and got the question mark.

I tried to repair the drive via disk utlity and it was unable to locate the HDD and partition. i tried mounting it through the terminal and still unsucessful as it cant find it either. I entered Drive Genius 3 and it was also unable to locate the drive.

The drive is spinning and not making any unusual noises. I pulled the cover and checked all of the conections on the cable and they are also fine.

Resetting the PR and SMF did not solve the problem either.. Any ideas.. I dont have another HDD to test my controller or a external case to test the drive either.

My question also, Im still under warrenty, will apple still fix my issue since i replaced the intial drive.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
I needed extra space. i actually have no idea what happened to the orginal drive. I moved since then.

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
okay so i swapped the drive with that of my other mac. doesnt work. it also does not find the new drive in the computer.. im sooo stuck

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Make a Genius appointment, tell them you swapped the drive and see what they do. I've talked to a Apple tech that said they'd still honor the warranty. YMMV

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
well.. put my drive in the in the other mac.. it boots.. soo lost.. i ques my controller is out? or bad cable? is there a way i can reload the bios or update it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.