HDD Lockup?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nyroger, Apr 12, 2014.

1. nyroger macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I have an iMac, 2011 version, which suddenly wouldn't boot. Used DiskWarrior to trouble shoot the drive. Results were that the drive was not reparable. Decided to take iMac to Apple store to have drive replaced. They could not do the repair and took the drive to another shop. The report was that the drive had "locked", which they say can happen if computer has not been used for sometime. However, I used the iMac daily, so I'm not sure how the drive would lockup. I have used Macs for many years and have never experienced this issue. Nor have I ever heard of this occurring. Can anybody confirm this condition can occur? Thanks.

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Some iMacs had a drive that was recalled by Apple. To see if yours might be covered, enter your iMac's S/N into this site by Apple. If yours in on the list, there is a time limit for coverage, so, Apple may or may not cover the cost of replacement, depending on date of purchase and other variables.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think someone is talking out their butt. :D

Sounds like your drive just died and not from anything you did or did not do.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There's a condition called stiction, where the heads of the drives would physically stick to the platter. It can be caused by a number of things: humidity, lack of use, lubricant breakdown among other things. It's more common on older drives though.

Anyway, it is possible for a drive to stop spinning up. Stiction mentioned above, or a head crash, or worn/broken spindle bearings can wreck the drive and prevent it from working again. Chances are, the Genius doesn't know what caused the breakdown, he or she just knows it broke down and little else.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Before you write that drive off, you should connect an external drive, boot the iMac from the external, then see if the internal drive is "accessible".

Perhaps it will mount on the desktop. If so, time to get stuff off of it, if it's not backed up.

IF you boot externally, and
    IF Disk Utility can "see" the internal drive, then
    TRY to re-initialize it.
    What happens?