hdd messed up from leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fazzl, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I was installing leopard but accidentaly exited and now the comp won't start up or anything.

2. zen macrumors 68000

zen

If the Mac won't start because it can't recognise anything on the hard drive (flashing question mark icon) because the system wasn't installed completely, just put the Leopard install disc in. It'll search for a viable system and will boot off the installer. If it doesn't, restart and hold down C. Once you're in the installer, install Leopard and don't click cancel this time :cool:

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

when i restart it gives me the option to pick the hdd or the disk. if i click the hdd it just shows the grey screen with the apple and the circle underneath it moving but it never passes that screen.

when i click the disk it does thte exact same thing.

i was performing an upgrade but someone canceled it.

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you'd better get that "someone" to sort it out for you :p

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

also, i saved a email draft in my apple mail for gmail but now i cant access it online at gmail.com!!!!!!!!!

6. zen macrumors 68000

zen

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

i did that and it restarted but nothing past that.

8. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I'm assuming at this point you have a legitimate boxed retail version of Leopard?

9. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Although I doubt it, its possible youve damaged the HD. At the very least it sounds like its been corrupted enough to stop the leopard disc from booting. Which Mac is it? if its not too difficult, try removing the HD and booting the cd without it. You could also plug that HD into another computer (via external case) to recover your files and format it.

Update: OOoooh, its a Macbook Pro? Not easy to remove the HD.. you could try Target Disc Mode... Get a Firewire A to A cable and plug it into yours and another Mac.. When booting yours keep your finger on T until it shows a Firewire symbol. It will now act like an external HD so you can explore it on another Mac (Note, MUST be a Mac)

10. G4DP macrumors 65816

Should have waited till 6pm Friday.

That's what you get for illegally using Leopard. If you had waited until Friday when it is actually release you would'nt have had a problem.

You must realise this is Apples why of sticking two fingers up at people who break the law.

Seriously, how did you exit the installation process? The methods posted above should sort it out. If not use the old fashioned method.

Get a hammer and hit the machine, often works.

11. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes, yes, the hammer thing does often work, I concur. It's the solution to many problems.

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

What a helpful comment.
    Several people have legitimitely received theirs early. We have no way of telling if the OP is one of these or not, but "innocent until proven guilty"?
    Why would an official copy not cause problems if the software is the same as an illegitimate copy?
    This is not apple's way of sticking two fingers up. They haven't purposefully leaked intentionally malicious copies of their software. How stupid would that be?

13. The Man macrumors 6502

You do realise that G4DP was just having a little fun? Is everyone so edgy these days? Mac people should be able to handle a little humor here and there, or am I wrong? At least, that used to be the case. Sure, these boards are for people who want info, but many should learn how to relax! It should be a fun place! That's what I like about Mac people: it's the sarcasm and wit along with the serious and helpful stuff.

And the hammer thing does work! That was a good remark, you simply cannot deny that! ;)

14. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Maybe, there's been a lot of people being very over-reactionary about software piracy on these boards over the last few days, and there was nothing in G4DP's post to suggest sarcasm.

Personally I find an old boot works better than a hammer, wider point of impact y'see.

15. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes, the piracy thing. Maybe it's because the same question is being posted over and over: about needing serial numbers or what kind of piracy protection Apple uses, and if you really need to buy the Family pack. And there's some confusion about being able to install it on a desktop and portable of the same owner.

I've always thought about the subject of Mac OS X installation licenses as something of a silent agreement amongst Mac users to not make a whole fuss about it. Let every Mac user question his own honesty, but do not make a whole circus about it.

But maybe the over-reaction is about something deeper. I personally believe that dishonesty is created by treating customers as thieves in the first place. "Do the right thing," also with music, is about showing trust in the customer. You will then create an atmosphere of positive attitude. I think Apple has instilled this spirit into the Mac user long ago, and so heavy reaction is to be expected when people display their intent to stray away from this spirit.

16. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

What do you mean "someone cancelled it"? You just said you did in your original post.

17. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

btw...you should re-title this post. leopard did not mess up your hdd, you did by ending the install before completion.

good luck anyhow!