HDD Messed Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imfrog2002, Dec 7, 2007.

1. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I am having trouble with my external HDD. I can't seem to save data to it without it being corrupted. Pictures end up weird, and I'm just starting a family photo project to digitize about 5-10k photos, and I need it for storage. Is there anything I can do? I've re-partitioned it, and nothing. Will setting it to something other than Mac OS Extened (Journaled) fix this problem? If you need more info, feel free to either reply or contact me another way, through my profile. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: FIXED! I had clicked it quite a bit, but I tried it one last time and the repair fixed it. Gosh. Persistence pays off.

EDIT #2: Not working again. This is getting annoying.

Here's how the photos are ending up:

[​IMG]

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In disk utility select the drive and press "verify disk" and make a note of any errors, and if there are select "repair disk". If that doesn't work try reformating the drive.

This is something to keep an eye on especially when undertaking a project such as this. Would be frugal to save them on a CD/DVD before erasing the originals from your internal.

edit: After Edit 2.

I definitely wouldn't trust this drive at all if it keeps reoccurring after you have "fixed" it.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

The good news here is that even if the external box you bought has only a 1 year warranty the drive inside will have either a 3 or 5 year warranty period so there is a good chance you are covered.

Goes without saying that you should not use this drive for impotent data.

4. imfrog2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

Errors are:

Volume Bit Map needs minor repair.
    The Volume DataStorage needs to be repaired.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I clicked on repair and it says:
    The volume DataStorage was repaired successfully.

Then when I transfer photos over, it still messes up, and I've reformatted a few times, trying to fix this.

I am planning on getting Flickr Pro, so that I have unlimited storage, and I KNOW they're safe. (Along with burning them on to DVDs, if we can afford it.

5. imfrog2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it's an internal drive that has been converted to an external drive, so I don't know if that'll work. A friend of mine has Disk Warrior X. Will that be able to wipe it, and possibly make it work, or just recover the data, which there is none?

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If it is happening this frequently then i would suggest that the drive is failing, as ChrisA suggested your drive may be under warranty, but at this stage I wouldn't even consider putting anything on it.

Disk Warrior is useful for sorting out problems with drives but if it happening with a freshly wiped drive it suggests that the drive is bad rather than any corruption problems caused by incorrect shutdowns etc.

7. imfrog2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help! It IS still under warranty, and I've requested a new one. Thanks again! (That's drive #2 that's gone for me. The first one was 2 days out of warranty. x_x)