HDD Multiple External Enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by locksmack, May 16, 2013.

1. locksmack macrumors member

Hey Guys,

Long story short, my cat destroyed my 4 year old Windows Home Server (I'm guessing failure of boot HDD, though not 100% sure).

So I am taking this chance to upgrade to a 2012 Mac Mini with data disks in an external enclosure. I am after one that will house 4 drives.

I doubt I will ever RAID my drives, but if there is an enclosure that gives the option for not too much more cost, I may consider it. I will probably be connecting with USB3, but again if there is an enclosure that supports Thunderbolt for not too much more, I may consider it too.

Any suggestions? So far I have been eyeing off the Hotway HF2-SU3S2.

Cheers.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. opinio macrumors 65816

If you have the money... Drobo 5D

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Pegasus J4. Done.

5. elefantrider macrumors member

J4 gets my vote also.

It is quieter and cheaper than the Drobo, although I do like the click in drive enclosure on the Drobo.

6. jg321 macrumors 6502

I still wanna know what the cat did!

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

With a new mini server... it seems intuitive that a DAS would be better suited. At first order, the Mac Mini Server can provide all of the services of a NAS (plus more), and a DAS provides significant higher performance overall.

A NAS does have advantages in some cases... but for a server, I think DAS almost always wins.

I would second looking at the J4. It seems like a nice solution.

/Jim

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Pegasus J4 is nice, but it takes 2.5" drives. If it only takes 9.5mm high drives, you're limited to 4TB (if you don't wait for the brand-sparklin' new 1.5TB 7200RPM 9.5mm HGST drive later this month).
    [​IMG]

Given that you were interested in the HF-SU3S2, you should know that it's technically nothing more than four enclosures and an USB hub in a single enclosure. However, there's also the HFR2-SU3S2, which additionally supports RAID 0/1/3/5/10 and might be worth considering over the bare-bones HF-SU3S2. Other than that it's the same thing.
    [​IMG]