hdd nearly full

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tug, Jun 20, 2011.

1. tug macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

1) Delete some files
    2) Utilise external storage
    3) Install a larger hard drive (which is a bitch in the iMac)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Move some of your user files to an external drive to free up space.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

swap the hard drive... some 3 party companies will do it.. and if u r a real DIY i guess you could do it. Hope I helped.
    -Paul :)

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You have too much stuff. Get rid of/back up some of it. It's like when your place of residence gets too full of crap.

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Not sure if you're using Adobe CS or Photoshop.. but if you've allowed their default 50GB cache you may have some free space available just by deleting those cache files. But gosh storage is so cheap these days go spend $85 on yourself and get a 1TB external, put 75% of that stuff on it and give your MB some breathing room. Your cpu performance must really suck right now!:p

7. tug, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

tug thread starter macrumors 6502

a big thanks to all you guys. :)

looks like its a new ehd for me then. :eek:

can anybody recomend a good 1tig or 500gig for my mac (all this external stuff is new to me).

also guys, what do i do, send all my stuff to the new external, format my internal, put snow/l back on it then just work from the external. or can i just bring across what i need and then send it back again, to keep my internal pretty empty. (normally i am pretty mac/pc savvy, but ive never had to go down the external route before. :( )

so any advice would be very appreciated, thanks in advance.

oh, i have time machine for all my backups, so everything is safe.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Firewire 800 is reasonably fast, acceptable to me. If I were you I would get a FW 800 external drive and keep everything but your apps and preferences on the ehdd. Photo, music, video libraries will transfer quickly enough into running apps that you won't notice the time it takes to transfer the files. Then your internal hdd will provide a sufficient scratch disk for working apps and speed up your cpu performance remarkably.

My favorite brands for storage are Seagate Barracuda and G-Drive for mac. You can set up the time machine to back up to your external hdd in its own partition. As it is now, time machine is doing you no good. If your hdd fails, so will the time machine backups. Backups which are stuffing your hdd to the max anyways, btw. ;)

9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

First of all, I would suggest using an application like Daisydisk. It will make a graph of all your files so you can see which one takes most of the space etc.
    Second, I'm not sure if that can be done, but can't you use Time Machine as an external storage device on top of a back-up device?

10. Skizoboy macrumors newbie

Adding some space will be necessary at some point but like somebody suggested earlier,
    you can use Daisydisk in the meantime to spot junk files clogging your drive.
    http://www.daisydiskapp.com (Great App!)

Snow leopard also has some very efficient file compression technology built-in, but you need a GUI to activate it:
    http://clustersapp.com (Great App too).

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, I do it all the time.

12. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Using time machine as an external storage manager? Yes.

That is, providing the op has an external storage device. Op, is this time machine, the app, or a time capsule you have? Can you even use time machine the app to backup files to the internal drive? Or have you partitioned the hdd and are using time machine on half? I'm confused now.

13. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

i use the capsule to make backups, i have'nt partitioned the hdd, should i have done? sorry about this guys, like i said this is all new to me. thanks again.

14. Skizoboy macrumors newbie

Last time I checked you couldn't partition a Time capsule's hard drive without ripping it open… It works but voids your warranty (Can't blame you for not doing it).

If your time capsule isn't full though, you can use the free space left to store files. The problem is this space will decrease each time a time machine backup is done…

15. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

i didnt mean partition the capsule mate, i meant the internal hdd.:)

any way, many thanks to all you guys for the help.

have decided to go with this;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=290688&stc=1&d=1308758759

Western Digital My Book Mac Edition 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

what do you think, any good?

Attached Files:

16. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Seeing as your Macbook only has USB, yea go with it.

17. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

18. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Good idea! I am also thinking about doing this!