HDD Not Spinning Down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Mar 5, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I installed a WD Scorpio Blue 640GB 5400 RPM drive in my Macbook Pro from 2009 (13"). For some reason, the drive platters are not spinning down and they just keep going. I made sure that "Put Hard Disks to Sleep" in Energy Saver was checked, but it doesn't work. I know that this will contribute to a shorter HDD life span, so how can I fix this? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not significantly shorter. Apparently, you have some process that's accessing the drive. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

3. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Type:
    sudo fs_usage | grep <name of volume>
    enter your password and track what is logging or accessing information from your hard drive.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Apparently, mdworker is doing a lot of the accessing.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If a drive is constantly active or your CPU utilization is high (possibly with increased temps and fan speed) when you're not running any major apps, check to see if Spotlight is indexing by looking at the Menu Bar icon:
    [​IMG] (not indexing)
    [​IMG] (indexing) (pulsing dot)​

6. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Spotlight isn't actively indexing my drive. My CPU usage is completely normal, at 0.01% usage at idle with Finder open.