HDD on my 2011 MBP DIED last night...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xplnusa, Apr 2, 2012.

1. xplnusa macrumors regular

I was getting a grey screen with the logo, pinwheel and a small status bar on the bottom.

Tried rebooting in safe move, tried hardware test with the original disc, tried the Lion Restore, tried resetting permissions. Called apple... They walked me through doing those same things again (I didn't mind because honestly it would have been better if it had just worked).

So they're shipping me a new HDD today and I have to ship the old one back. :( I absolutely HATE not having my MBP handy. I have to go into my office to use a computer because my wife's windows laptop blows and it just sucks to use!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you had cloned your drive to an external backup with Carbon Copy Cloner, you could simply swap the drives and boot up.

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is a must IMO. HDDs (and even SSDs) die. In fact, they die a lot, especially HDDs. Google showed us that while age affects them, a substantial portion (as in around 10%) of HDDs will go dead within the first year (see the "bathtub pattern"). I only learned that after I lost a lot of data on a HDD and not only did it cost more than a 512 GB SSD to recover, but not all of it was successfully recovered. Given you can get a Spinpoint, Scorpio Black, or other decent HDD for around $90 (500 GB) and a (nice) USB enclosure for $10, it's worth it IMO just given the cost of data recovery. I imagine you had a Time Machine Backup and if not, I hope nothing was on there that isn't stored elsewhere. Sorry to hear, disk failure is never fun. Hope it gets running well soon :(

4. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly no time machine backup. However on the bright side there was nothing that I can't live without on there. All of my important stuff is on my iMac. Which has time machine backup and carbonite as well. I do think I'll start using time machine on the laptop too though. At least a couple of times a month.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I don't get that people drop $x on a macbook pro, and won't spend the 60-100 dollars on an external drive to back up to...

Good to hear you haven't lost anything serious.... but it could have been a lot less hassle :D

6. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Well as things stand, the only thing I was worried about losing I still have! Thank you iCloud.

The only thing not back to normal is for some reason I still have iChat instead of iMessage. Still have to figure how to to fix that.

7. xplnusa, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot I had to DL it... Got it going too... All back to normal now... Time machine is running as I type this as well!!!!!!

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Look into carbon copy cloner as well I like it more than time machine because it make the external drive bootable

9. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I am on my 4th HDD in as many years. After the first one died I learned about backing up data, and since then I have had no issues, aside from having to buy a new HDD.

10. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

I might have to look into that for both my laptop and my iMac.

Thanks guys.