HDD optibay and Apple care warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chibiterasu, Jul 6, 2012.

1. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Everybody is talking about an SSD in the main slot and move the old HDD to the optibay but what would Apple think if you had the 3 year plan and the logic board failed or the screen died, through no fault of your own, in that period would they still service the laptop???

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, replacing the optical drive with a HDD or SSD voids the warranty. However, most simply replace the optical drive before taking their Mac in for servicing.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

here is what I have been told. If you replace the opti drive with the HDD and you have an issue, you better change it back to the normal set up or you will void your warranty. Only the ram and ssd are considered user upgrade-able

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Given the situation you described, Apple would in no way be obligated to honor the warranty as it states in there that any modifications to it will not be covered. There is no way to tell if the mods one makes to a computer did or did not have an affect on the logic board, since all mods, typically speaking, interface with the logic board, and also taking into consideration that one opend up the computer. Any number of things could happen while its open that can affect it too.

5. chibiterasu thread starter macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Ah yes that would work and just tell apple that its never been opend. Just will have to remember to take the optical drive and some screw drivers and torx with me if I'm away from home and the laptop fails lol.

6. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

The 'Hello' guide you get with the MBP specifically tells you the drive is user-replaceable, so they'd have a hard time arguing that upgrading that voids the warranty. The DVD drive is another matter, I guess, but not a huge deal to swap it back before putting in for a warranty repair.