• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Everybody is talking about an SSD in the main slot and move the old HDD to the optibay but what would Apple think if you had the 3 year plan and the logic board failed or the screen died, through no fault of your own, in that period would they still service the laptop???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Everybody is talking about an SSD in the main slot and move the old HDD to the optibay but what would Apple think if you had the 3 year plan and the logic board failed or the screen died, through no fault of your own, in that period would they still service the laptop???
Technically, replacing the optical drive with a HDD or SSD voids the warranty. However, most simply replace the optical drive before taking their Mac in for servicing.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

here is what I have been told. If you replace the opti drive with the HDD and you have an issue, you better change it back to the normal set up or you will void your warranty. Only the ram and ssd are considered user upgrade-able

Comment

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Given the situation you described, Apple would in no way be obligated to honor the warranty as it states in there that any modifications to it will not be covered. There is no way to tell if the mods one makes to a computer did or did not have an affect on the logic board, since all mods, typically speaking, interface with the logic board, and also taking into consideration that one opend up the computer. Any number of things could happen while its open that can affect it too.

Comment

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Ah yes that would work and just tell apple that its never been opend. Just will have to remember to take the optical drive and some screw drivers and torx with me if I'm away from home and the laptop fails lol.

Comment

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
The 'Hello' guide you get with the MBP specifically tells you the drive is user-replaceable, so they'd have a hard time arguing that upgrading that voids the warranty. The DVD drive is another matter, I guess, but not a huge deal to swap it back before putting in for a warranty repair.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.