HDD Prices to SkyRocket

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by WiiDSmoker, Oct 23, 2011.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I went ahead and shelled out 109 for a 2 TB...it's about to get ugly.

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

No, it's already gotten ugly. 3 weeks ago, 2 TB HDs were 90$ but could be had for as low as 70-80$ on sale.

Today they are in the 130$ range. You bought at the augmented prices :p

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that is the downside of manufacturers producing nearly all their products in one region , so if anything happens like floods or earthquakes the production stops , if they would spread out the production of their products around the globe evenly the impact of something like that would be minimal, as they would only need to increase production in other factories around the globe a bit to compensate

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Even if it was only WD that lost a factor and no one else was effected there still would be a shortage as my understanding is that it was one of WD major factories so that loss is going to be felt. I expect Segates will be able to source there required parts from elsewhere in the long term but the lost of WD factory is going to cause some long term delays as you can not just up your productions elsewhere to make up for that loss.

Not going to do much good. Those are going to go up as well and a shortage of those as well.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Prices have doubled in Norway by now, almost.

Not the time to need new hard drives.

6. ZipZapRap macrumors regular

I see 2TB Caviar Green drives around $90 average here in Australia.. so far, about a $10-20 increase.

7. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Are the ssd's made at the same factory?