HDD Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrViking, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MrViking macrumors member

Hi,

Sorry to bother you all but I have a pretty big problem. I tried everything I could (think of) to fix it, but to no avail. So I hope someone here knows what to do. Here's the situation:

My MacBook Pro's internal HDD is busted (15" 2009). If I try to boot it it just hangs, no safe mode nothing. If i insert the SL-CD and try to repair the volume it freezes (the whole enviroment).

I tried hooking it up via FireWire to a different MacBook Pro.

The finder crashes on the 2nd Mac. As soon as I turn the 15" off the finder start responding again.

After that i removed the HDD from the 15" and put it in an external exclosure. Tried hooking it up to a Win7 machine, couldn't fix it or access it. (I installed that program that lets u acces HFS+)

After that I tried that other MacBook Pro. I have a hunch there is some file a .mov causing all this. I made that video with FCP and after the export I started have troubles. Anyway, it shows up. But..

If I doubleclick, the finder freezes again. If i Click INFO it freezes. However, if I rightclick and select "open" it works.. But after about a minute the drive gets unmounted/removed and I get the message that the drive was not removed properly. Same happens if I try diskrepair util.

Does anyone know what I can do to get my files out of there, or even format it? (trying to format it makes it disappear too..)

Please any help is welcome, Kinda getting desperate..

2. MrViking, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

MrViking thread starter macrumors member

Short version:

My internal hdd dissapears(unmounts) after a minute. I hooked it up to another Mac as external USB disk

How can I see when it exactly crashes? Terminal/log?

3. MrViking thread starter macrumors member

4. MrViking thread starter macrumors member

No one has any ideas/suggestions? :/ Can't even format my disk!