HDD Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjb1, Sep 3, 2010.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I just got my MBP with the 500gb 7200rpm HDD offered from Apple, I seen alot of people on here recommend the Momentus XT because its a hybrid HDD-SSD. Would the difference between what I have and that be noticeable?

2. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

I read alot of the reviews on the Momentus XT and they say lots of crashes/failures and the speed difference is minimal over the stock 7200 rpm hd?

3. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Oh yea? Where? I have one. No problems what so ever. And if this is what your reading... why bother asking the same exact question here?

Here are three good, separate articles/reviews/benchmarks of the new Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seagates-momentus-xt-review-finally-a-good-hybrid-hdd
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...ntus_xt_hybrid_should_be_your_next_drive.html
    http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/seagate-momentus-xt-500gb/4505-9998_7-34109211.html
    And there are even more positive (sometimes raving) reviews of the drive if you do a Google search.

4. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I think your confused man. They have 4GB of SSD and 32 MB of cache. Two totally different things. They do apply.

6. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes...seems I was confused, sorry. I tried to get this answer out of apple, but if I were to get this HDD, put it in and do a fresh install of SL, what exactly would time machine restore by itself? and what would I need to copy elsewhere to restore later?

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

You can just back up from time machine once you boot from you SL CD. It will put everything back to the way it was. You can find the directions online.

8. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is that going to bring all the applications and settings over with it along with music and documents? And would it bring all applications in Parallels if I have it set to backup in Timemachine?

9. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

If you set time machine to backup your whole drive, and parallels is on the drive, then yes.

10. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

11. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

if you have run a complete time machine backup, and had it updated within 1 hour of removing the drive you may pass out when you run migration assist, it will bring every widget, browser history, saved emails/passwords literally will take everything, and just off of my own personal experience of turning time machine on and then clicking migrate, it is that easy =D

12. mrdm macrumors regular

Strongly recommend the momentus xt

It is working great in my core i5. Very fast, quiet and no noticeable vibration. Battery life is good.

13. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

have one in my 13" MBP..workin' like a charm..def faster/more responsive than the stock 5200rpm, 250gb hdd.

14. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Didnt want to start a new thread for this so ill just add it to this one... Ive been looking at SSDs and the Momentus XT and I have read alot about buying a cheap SSD means horrible performance and then the XT doesn't perform any better than a stock if you keep changing what you run. I have about 250 max to spend and I would like to have a decent SSD if possible, but at what I have seen no SSD at the price is decent in the 120gb range I want. Any suggestions?