HDD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brendu, Feb 13, 2011.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

So I have a WD Scorpio Blue that I threw in my mbp 5,5 last year. Since day one it has had random lags and short but frequent beachballing. Especially when typing in word or in posts such as this. It is beginning to drive me nuts. I considered upgrading to a WD Scorpio Black but all the reviews I keep reading lead me to believe this might fix my issue but it might not. It also might make much more noticible vibration, but it might not. It might make more noise, but it might not. So I havent set on buying one yet.

I want to know, will erasing, reformatting, and reinstalling off a backup possible remedy this issue? I have no idea whether or not this will do anything but figured it is worth a try since other than the little random lags I cant really complain about the drive. Also I read some people saying it may be an issue with incompatible firmware but I am not sure how to check what firmware version I am running. Also those posts were over a year old. I have scoured the interwebs today with no luck and I am finally turning to you guys for help. Thanks.

2. skidmarc macrumors member

3. brendu, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

Here is what it says: Is 1.47f2 = firmware version 1.7? Thanks.

EDIT: I am guessing yes this is firmware version 1.7 because when I attempt to upgrade using the site you sent me, it says I do not need this. I am guessing now that I am in the boat of people who are stuck with poor performance due to this firmware version not fully supporting the WD SB500 drive....

Attached Files:

4. skidmarc macrumors member

I'm not an expert on it, but from what I have read it appears that people have had to rollback to EFI 1.6 on certain MBs (5,5 I think, maybe sooner). I don't know how this is done but I would suggest that you make sure your HDD is backed up first.

Personally, my steps would be to attempt a restore from your backup first to see if it fixes the problem. If not perform a fresh install of everything and recover your personal files. If that doesn't work then rollback.

If I'm wrong someone will certainly point that out.

Best of luck.