HDD recommendations? iMac (early 2006)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by delusional, Jul 4, 2010.

1. delusional macrumors newbie

I ordered this old iMac on the first day intel macs became available. Jan 1 2006. It's been a great machine, but now it's time to replace the hard disk. I need a Serial-ATA (SATA) hard drive. One terrabyte or larger. It should be a 7200 R.P.M. drive with at least 8 MB of Cache memory built-in. And, it should be labeled as SATA-150 or SATA-300. Either will work, but I will only get the performance of the SATA-150 drive either way (the 300 will slow to 150 to communicate with my system). SATA-150 might be cheaper.
    The problem is that there are so many choices available, i just can't decide. It seems like there are thousands of disks i might use. Can somebody please make a recommendation, or at least tell me what to avoid?

I am concerned most about heat inside the mac degrading the new drive's life expectancy. Cost is a factor, but i will choose reliability over price.

2. tgaudmx5 macrumors newbie

Help!

I have this exact same question, but rather than post a new thread I wanted to reply to this one since the OP already said it perfectly for me.

Can someone provide a recommendation for a replacement HDD for an early 2006 white 20" Intel iMac?

Thanks!

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Have you thought about an SSD? Blazing fast and cheaper than they've ever been.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

second that... it will feel like a new machine, and you'll never, ever go back to HDD.

5. tgaudmx5 macrumors newbie

Well yeah - that would be great! This iMac is actually my mother's (I have a MBA - so I'm well aware of the benefits of SSD vs HDD.

Can you guys help me out with a link to a good one that will work in this iMac (early 2006 20" Core Duo)? I would really, really appreciate it.

I assume formatting it using the SL install disc is similar to the process for HDD?

Thanks!!

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Yes a new SSD formats exactly the same. I recently installed a 240GB SATA-3 SSD (from Other World Computing) in an "original" Late-2008 aluminum Macbook and it's incredible. Like a brand-new laptop. I also installed a 64GB IDE/PATA SSD in a decade-old iBook G4 and it is entirely usable for casual internet & email use. And I think I'm going to upgrade my Sony PS3 with a SATA-2 SSD just to say I did it. These things are addictive!