Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehybrid

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Is it possible to record directly to the hardrive using an iMac Core2 and a MiniDV camera with firewire? I have FCX and iMovie HD and the iMac has a pair of firewire ports. Thanks,

Kevin

tehybrid

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
isight

in iMovie it says capture with iSight but I wanna use my minidv camera and I dont see an option to do so

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
To Record Directly to the Hard Drive with a Firewire Camera:

1. Turn on your camera and make sure it is in Camera mode as if you were recording to a tape.
2. Be sure your camera is firmly connected to the computer using firewire (USB will not work)
3. Than in iMovie move the slider to the camera side.
4. You should now see live video from your camera on your screen. If you hear a loud noise its because your cameras built in mic is to close to the speakers, try muting the computer or move the camera away from the computer.
5. Click record in iMovie and your set.

Note: If the camera is in "camera" mode and is left on and if it is not physically recording to any tape, than it may auto shut off. Use an old tape and record on to it. When you are done with that tape, rewind and record again since you are not really going to be using the tape.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Note: If the camera is in "camera" mode and is left on and if it is not physically recording to any tape, than it may auto shut off. Use an old tape and record on to it. When you are done with that tape, rewind and record again since you are not really going to be using the tape.

On some Sony models you can hit the eject button and leave the tape carrier open and it will not shut off.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
On some Sony models you can hit the eject button and leave the tape carrier open and it will not shut off.

If you do choose that option cover that area (risk dust and other junk getting into your deck..)

And I actually think thats on all models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.