HDD Replacement Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HeavyGlow, Mar 22, 2012.

1. HeavyGlow macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Mid 2009 13" Macbook and a couple of months ago the HDD died. I tried repairing with Disk Utility but it was unable to fix it, and according to the error code obtained from SU/Verbose mode it was diagnosed as likely to be a faulty contact on the drive.

I've only got round to replacing the HDD over the last couple of weeks with a 500GB Toshiba (Sorry, don't have the model in front of me) that i confirmed as compatible, however I am having some trouble restoring.

The MB came with 0SX 10.5.7 pre installed, however I have been unable to find my installation disc. I do have a 10.6 installation disc, which won't let me fresh install but will allow me to access Utilities etc. I also have a 10.5.4 disc, which when attempted to boot from just brings up the question mark icon.

I did have a Time Machine back up on an external drive, which I have attempted to restore to the new drive, however after it tells me the restore was successful and that it is going to restart from the drive, it restarts but won't boot.

When i run repair disk in disk utility it says the Volume appears to be OK, but the options to Verify/Repair disc permissions are greyed out. The MB has only ever had one account which was mine and i have never altered the permissions. Would this stop it recognising the drive as a boot device?

If not, is there a way of setting the new drive as a boot device using Terminal? Or is it that the restore is incomplete because it is not the original instatllation disc?

I have had multiple attempts at restoring/installing and on one disk utility told me it could not bless the drive. Would this prevent it booting? And if so is there a way to bless it using Terminal?

I have spent over a week trawling forums and internet searches to try and diagnose the problem myself, and tried some of the more obvious suggestions such as resetting PRAM/NVRAM, so sorry if this is a frequently asked question, but i'm pulling my hair out.

I have the old HDD in a caddy so have access if there is anything i can use to clone that etc to make it simpler? I am assuming most disk repair/back up software such as Disk Warrior/CarbonCopy require access to a booted device?

I also have access to an older MB running Tiger if that is of any help.
    If there is any more information i can provide just let me know. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :confused:

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Boot from your SL disk and go in Disk Utility. Verify that the disk you intend to boot from is formatted HFS+ "GUID partition scheme". If that's not the case, partition the disk over again and this time go to options and pick "GUID partition scheme".

Then there is the matter of getting OS X back onto the disk. I've never tried using a SL DVD to install on an empty disk but the last time I found myself with a wiped disk, the AppleCare guy insisted I dig for the original disk to install the OS onto a blank disk. If this is the case, one obvious solution is to order a replacement restore disk for your Mac from Apple. At this point it occurs to me to take the time to make dmg images of all the old OS disks that came with our Macs in case I should ever need them. No wait. We're all running Lion now and I know a Lion usb stick can install to a blank disk.