HDD Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodland, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Woodland macrumors newbie

I purchased a 17" Macbook Pro last June and a few days after the warranty expired the hard drive crapped out on me. I've been looking for a replacement and came up with the WD 2.5" Scorpio Black, 500GB, SATA 3Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB HDD. I've heard nothing but good news for this particular model except for some possible firmware issues. A lot of people seem to have severe issues (slow downs, lockups, unrecognizable disks, ect.) after upgrading the firmware. Does anyone know anything about this issues? Or have any comments on the HDD?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Any compatible hard drive you buy will be fine - they all have their complaints. If you get one that's DOA, return it for another.

If you want a traditional HDD (i.e. not an SSD), then the Scorpio Black is a very good drive to get. Sometime in the next few days (supposedly), the Samsung 2-platter 1TB drive will be released which has performance similar to 7200RPM drives like the Scorpio Black.

(there's a post on here where a member benchmarked one, since it's already been released in Europe)