HDD Song-like noise? [Recorded]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coola, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Coola, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

Coola macrumors newbie

edit* I think I posted this in the wrong place, can someone move this to the Help section? Sorry everyone. :(

Hello all,

I have a 2010 late model 15" macbook pro whose hdd started to grunge and make scratchy noises. Anticipating it dying, I wanted to clone the 750GB, so I went to best buy and bought a 1TB WD drive thinking it will work fine.

Once I finished cloning and booted the drive and now it makes this weird song-like noise that I've recorded below:

https://vid.me/XXaQ

I also use bootcamp and when I try to boot into windows it says "No Bootable Device -- Insert boot disk and press any key".

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. csixty4 macrumors regular

Long story short, hard drives stopped using stepper motors years ago and now use a voice coil like you'd find in a speaker to move the heads back & forth. When this mechanism isn't working right, it creates sound inadvertently- check YouTube for "musical Maxtors" for how one brand tends to fail.

It's not quite clear if it's your new drive or the old one making sounds like that. But whichever drive it is isn't healthy and should be replaced ASAP.

3. Coola thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! The only drive that's connected in that video recording is the new one so I will try to take it back to best buy to replace it. I'm thinking of putting a 250GB SSD into the MBP. Would it be possible to clone a 750GB (original) hdd to the 250GB if I reduce the data on the 750GB down below 250GB?

Thanks again!

4. Coola thread starter macrumors newbie

[Update] So this is slowly becoming a nightmare. I've since returned the HDD to Best Buy and purchased a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD instead.

SSD is installed and I still hear that weird music which makes me believe its not the HDD/SSD anymore, maybe the mobo?

Also, how would I go about getting OS X Yosemite on here from a fresh SSD? Someone mentioned recovery but I tried cmd + r on startup and all it gave me was a flashing folder with a question mark.

I just want to put the new 250GB SSD into the MBP and clean install, but my late 2011 MBP didn't come with a disc, not sure what to do now.