Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Hey all,

My girlfriend installed Lion last night and this morning is experiencing crippling slow downs, so much so that I'm posting on her behalf. After a bit of research, I found that one of the culprits could be Safari, and after having her shut it down, performance got better, but was still so sluggish that it has rendered the computer effectively unusable.

She knew that sometimes having a full hard drive could also slow down the computer, and noticed that as she was cleaning out some old files, space on the computer began to decrease rapidly. She reports that in 'About This Mac,' it listed 90GB of files in the 'other' category, but she has no idea what could be taking up that much space. After deleting some programs she doesn't use, her free space increased by 9GB, but soon thereafter began to decrease again, back down to the level it was at before she cleaned up. At the same time, the 'other' category grew by 7GB.

Unfortunately I'm not at the same place shes at, so I can't look at it myself, but I'm not sure where I'd start looking, honestly! Do any of you guys have any idea what could be filling the 'other' category so rapidly on the upgraded OS?

PS: indexing has been done, so that's not the reason for the slow down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.