Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seraphex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hi All,

I have a 2011 MPB with a pretty small solid state drive in it.

It's getting pretty full now although I can't see where the space is being used (in about this mac it says 70GB is other)

I have ~20 GB in Music/ Films and ~40GB in applications.

Is there any program I can use/ fancy way I can see exactly what is using up my storage space kind of like the all programs function in windows?

I'd really like to free up some space!

Thanks,
ben

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.

• For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
    OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

• Check to see if some of the space is being used by your sleepimage file.

• Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

• Check your drive with Disk Utility: Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

• Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there any program I can use/ fancy way I can see exactly what is using up my storage space kind of like the all programs function in windows?

Download the free and useful, Omnidisksweeper , it will scan your entire drive, producing a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.