HDD Spin Down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scapetist, Jun 27, 2011.

1. scapetist macrumors newbie

I've recently purchased a WD Scorpio Black 500GB to replace my old HDD and everything works just fine. The only problem I've had is that it spins down and shut off after 10 -15 mins of inactivity.

I've already unchecked the "put hdd to sleep" option in System Preferences but this is still happening.

Does anyone here knows why or have a fix?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no fix. It's designed to spin down after a period of inactivity to conserve power and extend the life of the drive. There's no way to keep it spinning unless you're constantly accessing it.

3. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

If you download MacPilot, in the "Disks" section under "HD Power Manager" you can choose the "Idle Hard Disk Sleep Time" when running on battery and wall power, I think this will fix what you are describing. you can choose from "Never" to 120 minutes.

4. scapetist thread starter macrumors newbie

GG: I do not have this problem with the previous hdd. I just need something to disable the sleep function as some of my settings on 3rd party programs gets screwed up after i wake the HDD up. (I've no idea why I'm getting this from the program)

Kyle: Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Of course you can set it to never spin down.
    terminal
    pmset -a disksleep 0
    0 means never, -a means all power modes
    probably you need to run it in sudo mode to stay active after restarts.

For other settings and explanations just type
    man pmset
    to read the manual exit with q

6. scapetist thread starter macrumors newbie

hey all, I've tried all the solutions but none works. My hdd is still shutting down after bout 15 mins and needs to tab the keyboard to wake it up.

Any more suggestions?