HDD + SSD: How to configure user folders?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maxmiles, Sep 10, 2012.

1. maxmiles macrumors member

Hi folks,

So i'm about to get an SSD for my late 2009 27" iMac, and am going to install it where the optical bay is. But I haven't resolved a critical issue yet: how to allocate my music, photos, movies and other folders to the HDD? I'm not going to havd room on the SSD for all of my data, and would just want system and some user files on there anyway. Anybody know of a tutorial for this? I know it might involve creating symbolic links, but I haven't done this sort of thing in years.
    Thanks, max

2. vander macrumors member

Ditto

I'm in the process of doing the same thing and YES, would love to see a tutorial. I've searched the web, but the instructions Ive found are cryptic, and hard to follow. My set up is Mountain Lion with an 80 gig SSD and a 1 terabyte for data, but I need I think to move the user folder to the hard drive. Migration assistant doesn't allow you to designate which drive, at least I don't know how to make it. I was trying to copy the info from my older mac mini, but it didn/t work. So as the OP has indicated any help is appreciated.

3. Lazarus177 macrumors newbie

Try Symbolic Link Maker. http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html

4. maxmiles thread starter macrumors member

5. maxmiles thread starter macrumors member

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

This is the technique I used with a Mac mini when I installed an SSD in additon to the HHD. I prefer doing it through the OS configuration so the system is aware of what's going on and because its easy. Once you reassign the location in the advanced users setting, it's seamless.

Of course, make sure you've got a good backup before reassigning anything :)

7. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I second this technique. I have a 240GB SSD as my boot drive, and a 1TB HDD for all of my files. I have just moved the Home folders of all the users to the HDD.

8. vander macrumors member

thanks

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I'll give it a try this weekend, tomorrow is devoted to the iPhone 5 release!!!

9. nordicappeal macrumors regular

nordicappeal

Good luck

Good luck :)

I have written this:
    http://martinbay.net/how-to-move-user-folder/

I know it's posted earlier in the tread but please let me know if you have comments or suggestions to improvement of the guide.

Thanks

10. vander macrumors member

Thanks for the guide, initially when I tried to copy the user folder from the ssd to the HDD it got held up. It said 5 seconds remaining but it never finished with the copy. Is this because I need to set the permissions in the accounts area as well. I tried it multiple times and always the copy process stalled saying 5 seconds remaining, so I never was able to successfully copy the folder to the new location. I'm somewhat new to this, first time doing it, so I apologize for my ignorance. Your help is appreciated.

11. nordicappeal macrumors regular

nordicappeal

Have you tried "Repair Disk Permission" in Disk Utility? Not sure what exactly is going wrong - sorry about that.