HDD + SSD? No problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsAreBetter\, Feb 19, 2011.

1. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

I hear quite a lot that an HDD and an SSD inside a MacBook Pro would be too hard for users to operate, especially with the reputation of the 'easy-ness' of OSX. I seriously believe that Apple could pull it off;

Example:
    When installing, you can either put the program on the 'Applications SSD' or the 'Data HDD', with the choice of only 2 easy options.

Example 2:
    When in Finder, on the side there's the folder shortcuts. It easy to make 2 shortcuts.

So what do you guys think? I think that might be exactly what Apple will do!

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Not sure what you're saying. If you have multiple disks this is already how it works.

3. MacsAreBetter\ thread starter macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

I'm talking about making it as easy as possible for the average user to use 2 drives, keeping the OSX atmosphere.

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

it already works like this and its already easy... what more could be done?

5. dwhynman macrumors regular

Apple already make multiple drives in the macpro and imac. The OS and the ilife suite are installed on the SSD and the HDD is there in the finder it is pretty much a no brainer and I am not the most computer savvy person.

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If people need assistance to manage two internal drives then I suggest they buy an iPad and leave the computers to the rest of us :rolleyes:

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

It's true.

I often partition my disks anyway for a number of reasons, like for Boot Camp on my internal disk, Time Machine on a large external disk, and an NTFS partition on another portable external disk incase I need to transfer 4GB+ files to windows machines.

Multiple disks/partitions is not a problem. Apps and OS go on SSD, music, pictures, movies and most documents go on HDD. Easy.

8. gustavoQ macrumors newbie

Someone can explain me how do I change the path of the default folders in OS X?

I wanted to put the Downloads, Movies and Pictures in my second hard drive, but I want to access in the same way that the Finder set.

9. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Things like that are usually in the preferences of the app that uses them. To change download location, you should be able to do so in Safari preferences, although I haven't tried.

If you use iTunes for your movies and music, it's really easy. You can change your iTunes library location in the iTunes preferences, or you can disable the "copy all media to iTunes folder" box in the same place, enabling you to put everything wherever you want, and even split your media between different disks. All you need to do is copy things to where you want them, delete the originals, and then drag the new ones into your iTunes library so it knows where they are. I have half my iTunes music on my computer, and the other half, along with movies and TV shows on an external disk. I imagine you can do the same in iPhoto.

If you want your new Downloads folder in the dock where the old one was, just drag it there.