HDD swap and first OS reinstall on a Mac, please advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MRISX, Oct 2, 2016.

1. MRISX, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

MRISX macrumors newbie

Hello guys, here my situation, hope someone can throw some light:

My notebook:
    MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010),

The problem: My HDD is dying, I can't access to my Machintosh HD partition anymore and I can't reinstall OS because I have SMART errors. Before my format and reinstall attempt, my computer was loading slowly, random errors, etc. So I definetly think the HDD is close to dead. My plan is to replace my HDD for a blank SSD, I have performed this task several times on Win computers but for MAC I am wondering how I will load the OS again.

Questions:

• I am able to do a bootable USB wthrough the recovery partition tools? (I still have access to the recovery partition). Unofrtunately I don't have more Macs available to create the bootable USB through itunes. But on the other hand, I also have all the original packaging somewhere, so If there is a CD I can use, I definetly can get it.

• This computer have the function to get the recovery tools through internet if I swap to a blank HDD? (Option-Command-R) I am not sure I am understanding correctly that feature.

• Do you believe I will see some advantage with the SSD instead of a HDD? I hope to replace my computer soon, so I was thinking to choose an inexpensive one, something like this PNY: https://www.pny.com/ssd-CS1311 which have some reviews on MacBooks and don't cost too much more than a Toshiba 500GB HDD. I believe my laptop don't have SATA III but this HD should be compatible right? It says: SATA-III 6Gb/s; backwards compatible with SATA-II 3Gb/s. My second option is the SanDisk SSD Plus.

I really appreciate your help, please don't hesitate to share any advice.

Thanks!

2. Tarek macrumors 6502

First of all, I love the way you formatted the topic. :D

Let me try and answer all of your questions:

1. At this point, it's better if you start looking for the original packaging.

2. I have been reading conflicting points regarding Apple's Internet Recovery. Some people say that it only works on laptops after 2011, but I got it to work on my mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro and I believe you should be able to get it to work as well. I am not 100%, but I don't think it is associated with the HDD so I believe you can access it even with a new, blank SSD installed.

3. Yes, you'll see a huge difference in terms of speed and it'll definitely feel like a new computer. How much RAM do you have, though? Because that can definitely play a factor as well. My mid-2010 MBP has only 4GB of RAM, which is why I refrained from upgrading the SSD and decided to buy a new rMBP altogether. If I had the money for both a RAM and SSD, I'd have definitely done it, though.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Put an SSD into it.
    You'll NEVER regret having done so.

As to re-installing the OS:
    I -think- the 2010 MBPro supports "internet recovery", which will allow you to connect to the net, use Disk Utility to initialize the new drive, and then download and install a new copy of the OS onto it.
    (Never had the need to try this, so I can't say for sure).

Other thoughts:
    Be sure to buy and use THE RIGHT TOOLS for the job.
    You'll need a Phillips #00 and a TORX T-6 driver.

Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved (it's very easy).

Put out a towel so you won't scratch the MacBook.
    Keep a small bowl or two around for tiny screws.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

I'd rather have 4GB and an SSD than 8GB and an HD....very usable with 4GB still, the SSD makes it that much better. While an upgrade to 8GB doesn't hurt, it's not required. 16GB is too much for 90% of people, even thought you might be tempted I would just save the $.

5. JasonHB macrumors regular

FWIW, you can't put 16Gb in a mid 2010 MBP. It will only run a maximum of 8GB, 4GB in each slot

BTW, I have just installed an SSD in my 15" mid 2010 MBP and the difference is staggering. I wish I had done it ages ago. It really is like a brand new machine. I have never used anything as quick as this.

I have to use Windows for my job and I run this in Parallels. From launching Parallels to having Windows 10 open and operational is about 35 seconds.

I cannot recommend the upgrade highly enough

You will not be disappointed

Jason

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- This is wrong. 13" will run 16 GB. 15" and 17" won't.

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Sure you can, I had 16GB in my 2010 13", but like the guy above me said, you can't in a 15" until 2011

8. MRISX thread starter macrumors newbie

I reviewed and it have Internet restore. Good.

Thanks I will go for the SSD, I choose the PNY. Will buy it after work.

Mine have 8gb of ram

9. MRISX thread starter macrumors newbie

Finish, I was able to perform this through Internet and I am a happy camper now. Thanks guys.

10. JasonHB macrumors regular

Damn, I did not realise that. I apologise for the misinformation.

That is so annoying, wish my 15" could run 16GB

Jason