HDD that will spin down in Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertnas99, Dec 19, 2012.

1. robertnas99 macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a HDD in their Optibay and has successfully gotten it to spin down running Mountain Lion? If so, what make and model are you using?

I've tried tons of different solutions form different forums without any success. So at this point, I have pretty much accepted the defeat and that I might have to buy a new secondary HDD to put in my Optibay (if there are any that work). The HDD does spin down when its partitions are ejected, but I do not want to fiddle around mounting/ejecting the drive every time I want to use it. Can't put the SSD in the Optibay as I had all kind of problems when trying this, slow read speeds, couldn't boot from it etc.

Hardware:
    MacBookPro 17" Late 2011
    Crucial M4 SSD 256GB in main bay
    Seagate Momentus XT 500GB in Optibay
    Nimitz Optibay

(all drives have the latest firmware)

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have the Samsung Spinpoint 1TB and it is pretty quiet.
    Never thought it was loud.

3. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool. Do you know if it actually spins down (goes to sleep) or it's just so quiet you never notice it? This is important to me as a constantly spinning drive, even though it's quiet, still drains unnecessary battery power.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

When I close the lid, I hear nothing so Im assuming its not moving at all.
    I just stick my ear right next to it and I legitimately hear nothing.
    (It takes a bit for the machine to go to sleep so you have to wait couple sec.)

When its moving, I hardly notice it.
    Yeah I can hear it if Im really concentrating on the sound but not much.
    My fan would be louder if its spinning at 3000rpm.

5. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about when the computer is actually running? Does it ever go to sleep? This is what I want to achieve with mine. If you haven't fiddled around with settings the standard sleep time for the HDD should be 10mins if not used and if you have energy saver prefs set to put hard disks to sleep when possible.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Do you mean keep the HDD in sleep until you need it?

7. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, does the HDD ever go to sleep when to computer is running, to then spin back up whenever it is needed? (This is standard behaviour for HDDs in most operation systems with standard settings, but I can't achieve it with mine in the Optibay).

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

There was a thread for that!
    Here ya go :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1214298

9. robertnas99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I tried that and solutions posted in plenty of other threads, but it doesn't work with my HDD. So I want to know of a HDD that you can actually get to go to sleep in the Optibay in Mountain Lion, without manually ejecting it (if there even is one) so that I can buy that exact model.