Hdd to sdd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macboiest, Dec 28, 2010.

1. macboiest macrumors newbie

macboiest

I was wondering how hard it it is to convert my HDD 160GB to a SDD245GB. I want to know how hard it is.:apple::apple:

2. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Well first off you aren't converting your old drive to a SSD. You are buying a SSD and then installing it into the drive's bay. Removing your old HDD.

As far as being hard... you unscrew 10 screws on the bottom of the machine, remove the bottom cover, remove 2 screws inside on the top of HDD, pull up the HDD, take the 4 screws off it, remount them onto the SSD, then install in reverse... 10 min. job.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. Just did this yesterday to test restoring from a Time Machine backup to a spare HDD I had laying around. (never fully trust a backup solution until you've successfully tested a bare-metal restore)

Additional thoughts:
    • You need a #00 Phillips for the case and a #6 Torx screwdriver for the studs on the drive.
    • Good tools last a lifetime, cheap tools lead to costly repairs for what you screw up.
    • See www.ifixit.com for picture guides
    • When reassembling, note that the case screws are at an angle; they're perpendicular to the radius of the bottom edge, not straight up and down.
    • It's easy to cross-thread screws of that size; be careful and don't force anything; if it isn't going in smooth back up and figure it out