HDD to SSD 2007 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jim123321, Sep 23, 2011.

1. jim123321 macrumors newbie

jim123321

Hi just need to make sure I've got everything correct for what I'm about to order.
    I am going to be upgrading my iMac from its 320GB HDD which i think may be about to break to a 240GB SSD.
    I think the best thing to do would be to just remove the HDD completely and stick the SSD in but I've heard you can have both on iMac and install Lion and Applications on SSD to make it much faster and store things like videos and music on the HDD which don't need to be accessed as fast, what do you think?
    If i go with the first option are the following things all i need?
    Icy Dock MB882SP
    240GB OCZ SSD

Then all i need to do is open the iMac up which is easy as I've done it a few times shove it all in.

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

24" iMac does not have an empty slot for an SSD like the 21.5" and 27" iMacs do. What you can do, however, is to replace the optical drive with an SSD. That way you could have both, HD and SSD inside a 24" iMac.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

continuing on from that, if you do end up putting the SSD in the optical bay, you will need a mount to hold it in there properly..

:)

4. jaglad macrumors member

The optical drive in a 24" imac is IDE, so no point trying to replace it with a SSD.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahhhh touché. nicely pointed out!

6. jim123321 thread starter macrumors newbie

jim123321

Thanks for the replies, only just had chance to check back.
    I think i am just going to get the biggest SSD drive i can afford and just replace my HDD completely.
    Are the OCZ Agility 2's any good?
    Also I'm thinking it may be best to get a 3.5" model and just put it straight in and not mess about with different mounts, but I've heard there have been problems with the 3.5" SSD's, has anyone else heard this?

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

8. jim123321 thread starter macrumors newbie

jim123321

It has been done by other people, there are a few articles if you look on Google.
    Ive ordered my new SSD which should be here Monday and once I've installed it and transferred all my data back over ill report back.