HDD to SSD: Disk space management

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JR13, Jul 18, 2011.

1. JR13 macrumors newbie

Since a lot of people here went from a 250gb-500gb HDD to a 128gb SSD, how was the change to a smaller capacity? Did you just settle for an external hard drive for your other files?

I've been thinking about getting an SSD, 128 seems a tad to small for me but 256 is still kinda pricey.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went the route of using a NAS (should be delivered today). I'm centralizing my files on a device that's RAIDED and can be shared among all my computers at home. The primary benefit is that I don't need to store everything on my local computer. My very own personal cloud if you will. ;)

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

This is one of the reasons I sold my SSD and went for Seagate Hybrid drive. I run OS X and Windows, I didn't want to deal with managing disk space. With the 500GB XT I hardly have to.

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Or you take out the SuperDrive, put in the optibay with your current HDD, and stick in a fast SSD. Use SSD for OS X, an Windows on the HDD (or vice versa). That way you get even more space. If you like it's possible to purchase an enclosure to house the SuperDrive so it's useable :D

5. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

+1, did exactly that. Now I have the speed of SSD and storage of HD...

Polbit

6. EEXOOO macrumors regular

128GB is ample of space for my OSX + Win7 combo.

I store music,tv shows,movies on my NAS which is shared across my family.
    I store important documents, files, private files, backups on my RAID 1 DAS.

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I sold a kidney and bought a 512GB Crucial SSD.

8. DropKick macrumors member

128GB seems to be plenty for me, I keep the larger files on external hdds.

9. JR13 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I guess the logical thing to do is connect to a DAS or NAS. How are the transfer speeds tho? Do you use LAN for transferring? Cause I'd imagine, firewire or USB 2.0 isn't that fast. :(

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I purchased a 160gb SSD and have a 500gb NAS drive that I use. Speeds on my NAS are not the best, its pretty old... but how often do you really need to copy large amounts of data to it anyway? I haven't gotten around to installing Win7 yet, but with OSX installed, and my most often played music files and documents, I still have 123gb available. SSD + NAS makes a great setup IMHO.