hdd to ssd upgrade with bootcamp help

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
hi all
i bought my first ssd for my early 2011 15" mbp.
its a Crucial M4 512GB SSD and wanted some suggestions and help on how to set it up with bootcamp.

i currently have lion and win7 on my hdd and also interested on installing ubuntu for triple boot but i have ubuntu on a vm right now.
i am not sure whats the best way to set this all up.
specially with win7 on the ssd. are there any specific settings i should change on win7 to have it properly setup with the ssd?
i plan on using winclone to copy my win7 partition and moving that onto the ssd. is that ok to do or should i reinstall win7?
and should i place my 750gb hdd in the optibay slot?

thanks in advance

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
i currently have lion and win7 on my hdd and also interested on installing ubuntu for triple boot but i have ubuntu on a vm right now.
i am not sure whats the best way to set this all up.
You're going to need rEFIt.

are there any specific settings i should change on win7 to have it properly setup with the ssd?
No, why would there be? A SSD is the same thing as a hard drive, only the medium changes.

i plan on using winclone to copy my win7 partition and moving that onto the ssd. is that ok to do or should i reinstall win7?
Moving the partition over will not work with default OS X tools. You may be able to do this with 3rd party utilities such as WinClone, but personally I suggest you simply reinstall and save yourself potential trouble.

and should i place my 750gb hdd in the optibay slot?
If it has a built-in sudden motion sensor you can. If not I'd leave it in the regular HD spot.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
If it has a built-in sudden motion sensor you can. If not I'd leave it in the regular HD spot.
why would i leave the hdd in hdd slot if i am replacing it with ssd?
the ssd is a sata3 ssd and the hdd slot is rated for sata3

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
why would i leave the hdd in hdd slot if i am replacing it with ssd?
the ssd is a sata3 ssd and the hdd slot is rated for sata3
It's really up to you, for extra protection I'd leave a non sudden-motion sensor equipped drive in it's original spot. If your hard drive has a SMS, disregard this.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, a trip to Google would explain this better than I could.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
It's really up to you, for extra protection I'd leave a non sudden-motion sensor equipped drive in it's original spot. If your hard drive has a SMS, disregard this.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, a trip to Google would explain this better than I could.
i know about sms. it was just a general question.

my hdd is a 750gb toshiba but not sure if it has built in sms

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
i know about sms. it was just a general question.

my hdd is a 750gb toshiba but not sure if it has built in sms
The MBP has it's own SMS connected to the normal HD bay, which is why I mentioned this at all. It may cause problems or it may not, I have not done this mod myself.