hdd to ssd upgrade with bootcamp help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fineaddme, Jan 17, 2012.

1. fineaddme macrumors regular

hi all
    i bought my first ssd for my early 2011 15" mbp.
    its a Crucial M4 512GB SSD and wanted some suggestions and help on how to set it up with bootcamp.

i currently have lion and win7 on my hdd and also interested on installing ubuntu for triple boot but i have ubuntu on a vm right now.
    i am not sure whats the best way to set this all up.
    specially with win7 on the ssd. are there any specific settings i should change on win7 to have it properly setup with the ssd?
    i plan on using winclone to copy my win7 partition and moving that onto the ssd. is that ok to do or should i reinstall win7?
    and should i place my 750gb hdd in the optibay slot?

thanks in advance

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're going to need rEFIt.

No, why would there be? A SSD is the same thing as a hard drive, only the medium changes.

Moving the partition over will not work with default OS X tools. You may be able to do this with 3rd party utilities such as WinClone, but personally I suggest you simply reinstall and save yourself potential trouble.

If it has a built-in sudden motion sensor you can. If not I'd leave it in the regular HD spot.

3. fineaddme thread starter macrumors regular

why would i leave the hdd in hdd slot if i am replacing it with ssd?
    the ssd is a sata3 ssd and the hdd slot is rated for sata3

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's really up to you, for extra protection I'd leave a non sudden-motion sensor equipped drive in it's original spot. If your hard drive has a SMS, disregard this.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, a trip to Google would explain this better than I could.

5. fineaddme, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

fineaddme thread starter macrumors regular

i know about sms. it was just a general question.

my hdd is a 750gb toshiba but not sure if it has built in sms

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The MBP has it's own SMS connected to the normal HD bay, which is why I mentioned this at all. It may cause problems or it may not, I have not done this mod myself.