Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangocheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Hi al, I just recently purchased a ssd for my 2011 early 13" MBP. I wish to do a clean install of Lion on the ssd, and transfer my existing user settings/files on the hdd to the ssd. I've been reading around, and it seems that people have been doing so by using an external hdd to create a back with time machine. I do not own an external hdd, and was wondering if you guys have any other methods that could help me. If there is no way, is it possible to just somehow copy my user settings and certain files to a usb flash drive and transfer it over to my ssd?

rainking

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
I doubt you have one but another way would be to use a hdd enclosure and carbon copy your HD to your SD via the enclosure.

----------

Also, might be a good time to get an external hard drive. Don't you think about backup? They are so cheap now.

mangocheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
If I were to buy an enclosure like that, could I use it as a future external hard drive to backup my MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.